For current position regarding walks in the pandemic period please see the 'Walks' page.
It costs just £5 to become a member of Otley Walkers. To join, use the Contact page to request membership, giving your name, address, email address, phone numbers (landline and mobile). We will let you know how to pay in our reply. You can also use the Contact page to request further information.
Subsequent membership fees of £5 per member are payable by May 1st each year.
Walkers attend walks in this programme at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety. Please come properly equipped for the conditions. Dogs are not allowed on any walks.
We usually meet at Wharfemeadows car park. To find this take the first right over Otley Bridge into Farnley Lane then first right after Prince Henry's Grammar School entrance onto an unmade road. We car share from here and drivers appreciate a voluntary contribution towards costs. We use a system of zones around Otley to arrive at the suggested voluntary contribution. Distances are measured using AA Route Planner.
Zone A - 10 mile radius - £3.00 Zone C - 30 mile radius - £6.00
Zone B - 20 mile radius - £4.00 Zone D - 40 mile radius - £8.00
Walks usually include a morning coffee stop and a midday lunch stop so you are advised to bring drinks and a packed lunch. After the walk we normally go to a nearby cafe for tea, cake and a chat.
Walking Guidelines for Members of Otley Walkers
- Members walk at their own risk, and are responsible for their own decisions and safety. They should adopt a policy of “self reliance”
- Medical conditions, fitness level, weather conditions and ground conditions can all impact on members’ ability and stamina. Know your limitations and take notice of the grade of the walk as specified in the programme – ‘Easy, Moderate and Hard’
- It is important to come adequately equipped with walking boots or walking shoes and with clothing to suit the time of year and weather conditions, including waterproofs. The leader has the right to refuse to take on a walk anyone considered not to be properly equipped.
- It is advisable to carry a whistle or mobile phone and to have the leader’s mobile phone number from the walk programme. Remember to give your mobile phone number to the leader if leaving the walk.
- If in doubt please contact the walk leader named on the programme.